Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Focus, focus, focus!


It was way back in my teens.


My family had moved areas, and consequently I had to change schools.  The school I was leaving was behind on teaching the state curriculum, while the school I was now attending was ahead.  This left a considerable gap in curriculum that I had not been taught.  The consequence of this was that my grades plummeted.


What could I do to turn this situation around?


I realized this was going to take hard work.  I had to double down on the subjects in which I was behind, and study curriculum on my own.


In short, I had to focus.


God knows we need to focus.


Matthew 6:33 “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.”


Hebrews 12:1-2 “... let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which does so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith …”


Matthew 6:24 “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon (wealth).”


So, what is the focus of my life?


Is the focus of my activities, God and obedience to him? Or is my focus on the cares of this world?


God says, if I center my life on him, he will take care of my needs.  God has the power to provide for his children, and what father would withhold provision from his family (Matthew 7:9-11)?


We are in an unfamiliar world right now.  The covid pandemic has turned our lives upside down.  Some of us may have contracted the virus.  Others may have family who are suffering.  We may have lost our employment.  We may be wondering about how to make ends meet.  We may be anxious.


But God says, don’t be anxious about tomorrow.  Because he is in control.  He knows our needs, and he loves his own.


Does this mean we don't need to work and take care of our families?


No, Paul tells us in 1 Timothy 5:8, if we do not take care of our family, we have denied the faith and are worse than an infidel.  So there is a balance we need to achieve in this.


However, our overwhelming focus needs to be on spiritual things, our relationship with God, not on things of this life (Colossians 3:14). Ultimately, that relationship is the treasure we seek, not physical riches.


God will take care of us.


Not just in this life, but for all eternity.  


He has prepared a place in heaven for each of his own. Nothing can happen to us that God has not allowed for or prepared for (John 14:1-3).  His purpose for our life will be fulfilled.  There is no need to fear.


Our part is to keep our focus on him.  And he will take care of us.

No comments: